Saturday, December 3, 2011

I Miss Golf

I haven't posted anything in awhile because the past two years have been spent recouping from three surgeries instead of playing golf.  A spinal fusion in the neck, an open abdominal hernia and most recently a double L4-L5-S1 lower spinal fusion.  Fun fun fun.

I calculated that I have been off my golf feet for 14 out of the past 16 months. But, I have permission to begin putting practice and shipping practice as long as there isn't any twisting.  For those of you unaware of the limitations from a fusion, they say no "BLT's" or no bending, lifting of twisting.  Try getting through the day without doing any of those.  Yeah, right?

I have been working with my 60 degree wedge. 12, 18 and 24 yard shots in the back yard.  After reading Dave Pelz's short game bible these shots are really easy and offer a no stress swing.  If you have had a lower back fusion or just low back problems read this book.

Watching Steve Stricker (simplest swing on the PGA) putt at the President's Cup I noticed he keeps the heel of his putter off the ground.  I tried this and it helped me stand more upright over the ball but hindered the release of the putter through the ball.  This week I saw Tiger Woods switch to an interlock putting grip.  His entire career he has used a reverse overlap so this was huge and his putting reflected it. 27 putts in each of the first two rounds and his Chevron World Challenge tournament.

So being the copycat of he best in the world for the past 49 years, with minimal success, I tried both together and on my practice green I started dropping 8 to 10 footers with ease.  Hmmm.  More upright put my eyes more over the ball and the grip just felt natural, something I have used for the past 15 years after a 10 year stint using an overlap. 

Looking forward to Spring.
I am a middle-aged golfer that loves the game. I take lessons, practice, practice, travel to far away places and play whenever possible. Follow me as my friends and I golf in Colorado and other locales throughout the year. Read about hints and tips from our favorite PGA and LPGA pros at our home course, Indian Peaks in Lafayette, Co. and others around the state and country.

Search This Blog