Monday, July 19, 2010

The Case for Executive Courses

I have been playing golf four days a week most of the summer.  I don't play the "big" courses as much as a little municipal executive course about 15 minutes from my office (home). Yeah, I know, muni course, executive, etc.....

Get over it.

Golf is a about making shots. being able to put the ball where you want it when you need to. This is a requirement unless you like shooting 100 or more.  And I don't. When you go hit that large bucket of balls on a wide open range and you pull out your driver and hit 50 or so balls with it, what have you really accomplished. Not much more than putting $8 - $10 bucks in the till.

Take that same $10 ($11 in my case) and play nine holes. Real shots. Real greens. Real golf. Think each one out. Straight, draw, fade? High, low? Where do you want your approach shot to be from? Did you plan each hole from the green back to the tee?  What is your favorite distance in? What do you need to hit to leave that shot for yourself? Driver is not an option on every par 4 on an executive course.

A 298 yard par 4 may require a 5 iron off the tee if your favorite distance in is 90 yards with a sand wedge. Even if you drive 300 yards, why waste the practice. We often have a 208 second shot on a par 5 or even a par 4. Play executive courses with your regular course in mind.

I also walk the course. I don't do that on my regular course, age and injury have effected that. But walking a short nine builds leg strength. Your whole swing requires great leg strength as it's foundation. The legs drive through and everything else follows. Doubt it? Take your normal stance with a full iron or fairway metal and make your swing without using your legs. Just turn your hips but don't drive with your legs, allow you arms to follow your hips. Funny thing, most amateurs won't see much of difference, but if you have strong legs and drive through with them you will lose 30 - 50 yards, easy. Try it. If you don't see much of a difference, you need to start walking. Harvey Pinick used to make sure all of his junior students walked carrying a big bag to build their legs.

The last thing I do on my executive course is drop a second or third approach shot and play them all out.  the greens are in great shape running about 10.5 to 11. Real putts.

I play Monday through Thursday and mid morning to around noon.  Usually by myself. No one in front, no one behind me. That's golf.  Try it, you might be surprised.
I am a middle-aged golfer that loves the game. I take lessons, practice, practice, travel to far away places and play whenever possible. Follow me as my friends and I golf in Colorado and other locales throughout the year. Read about hints and tips from our favorite PGA and LPGA pros at our home course, Indian Peaks in Lafayette, Co. and others around the state and country.

Search This Blog